Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Applications have to download?


Background:
SCCM 2012 introduces a new method of doing software installs. There are now Packages, which is the legacy way of doing software, and Applications. Among other things, Applications give much better reporting and targeting features.

So I pose this as more of a question. It appears that Applications in SCCM 2012 have to download and install instead of there being an option to run them from the distribution points. Is anyone else ran across this yet? The only solid documentation on run types is one sentence in a reference book for SCCM 2012. It says that Run from DP is only available for Packages.

I am trying to turn our AutoCAD 2013 packages in applications. We provide 13 different programs from the AutoCAD suite, with each package being about 17GB. When setting up our client installation rules, we left the default client cache size at 5GB. If applications have to download before installation, then this cache size will have to be changed. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would have removed the option to run from distribution points, but it appears that they have.

I have methods in place to change the cache size if needed, but I do not want to do this if I don't have too. I can use the right-click tools, or come up with a script to run prior to the application install, but I would much rather have the applications run from the DP's. AutoCAD isn't the only problem that I will have. We have several packages that are more than the 5GB default.

Will I see issues with this when trying to install these applications as part of a task sequence? All of our task sequences are set to run from distribution point.

Comments or suggestions? Leave a comment here or email me at sccmhied@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. I believe the best option would be to create a Deployment Type (Scripted Install) without specifying a Content location. In the command to install the program, simply put the parameters in and for the start in location, specify a network share.

    I haven't tested that, but I think it will work.

    I also work in a university environment. I've been tasked with switching to SCCM 2012 from Kace. I've still got a lot to learn, but I came across your blog when searching for Deep Freeze and SCCM information. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has a better solution been found? Univ worker here moving from Deployment Solutions 6.9 to SCCM2012.

    ReplyDelete